Friday, June 22, 2012

Networking strategy - Part1

HOW TO GET INTRODUCED #1

A cheaper way

A trick I discovered is to use groups. By joining, you get the possibility to interact with members of the group. However, this is not to be taken as a new way for spamming!

People deserve the same care and respect you would apply to your target contact. (I will soon publish a specific post on this topic with a back link).

How to ask

You really have to reassure the introducer by:
  • Explaining clearly the purpose
Your approach is not to directly ask for a favour  enquire for a job/propose your service, but to simply explore the possibility for a fit between you and the target person.

Tell how this introduction will help you with your professional goals.
  • Specify the content
Share the type of question you plan to ask. Reassure the introducer of your kind intentions not to pester his contact.
  • Offer to give additional information
Offer to answer to any further precision on the phone. Present it has an option and give your introducer the choice, leaving the final decision up to him.

Don’t call every day to find out whether he has passed your introduction along. Just one call or e-mail reminder is sufficient.
  • Be grateful
Show your gratitude for the help this person accepts to give you. Be professionally grateful, not casual.

My example for a job inquiry:

Hi (name of the introducer),

Interested in (name of the company), I’d very much appreciate if you would introduce me to (name of the target contact).

Currently looking for a new challenge, I noticed that this company would be a great match with my experience and aspirations. I’d like to have an informal discussion with (target contact) about (this particular project) and see if I may be a fit for the organization. Let me know the best way to get in touch with (target contact).

If you need any further information about my intentions, I’ll be happy to chat with you. Please let me know whether you have decided to pass on.

Thank you, in advance.

Kind regards,

Name
Phone number
e-mail adress


Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Author - Kevin Simonnet

No comments:

Post a Comment